Last time we checked, it was barely the beginning of summer, but it’s already fall. How did your air conditioner hold up over the past few months? Is it running at top efficiency or could it use some TLC?
If you skipped having your system maintained in the spring, it’s time to make sure it’s still going to be keeping you comfortable during what passes for winter here in the south. And, while you’re at it, it’s time to have your heating system looked at as well, just to be sure that in case of a cold snap it’s got you covered.
Reasons not to skip even one year, no matter how new your system may be, include:
- The number one cause of air conditioning and heater failure is dirt. One way to keep the system clean is to change your air filters at least every three months, but ideally every month. The other way is to ensure a qualified technician cleans it at the beginning of every cooling and heating season.
- It saves you money. Proper maintenance will extend the life of your system, usually by about three to five years. Even though a tune-up isn’t free, it pays for itself quickly and in several ways. Annual maintenance helps keep your system running at peak efficiency. If there is dirt on the blower blades, it will reduce the airflow. Reduced airflow makes the unit work harder to move the correct amount of air, and a harder working blower uses more energy. Depending upon the severity of the problem, this can raise your utility bill by between 20-50%.
- Eliminate the “mystery” factor regarding the condition of your system. Yes, a system should last around eight to ten years; the key term there is should. If you never have a trained technician have a look inside, you won’t know of any conditions present that may shorten the lifespan. Catching a needed repair early is less expensive, less inconvenient, and helps ensure the overall health of your system. If your system is aging, a technician can also give you an idea of how much life it has left in it before you need to think about replacing it.
- If your system is still under warranty, annual maintenance is required to keep it that way. Every major manufacturer requires it, so if you aren’t maintaining your system, you are potentially eliminating all the benefits and peace of mind that come with your warranty.
- A clean blower keeps the rest of your home clean as well. If the inside of your unit has dirt built up, and then air is moved through it…it’s picking up that dirt and blowing it into your home through the vents. That goes the same for bacteria, viruses, and fungus particles. Since we’re inside so much more during the winter, this one extra step to improve indoor air is a big one.
- No one’s schedule has time to accommodate an emergency repair. Your system is much more likely to break down unexpectedly if you aren’t maintaining it. And we all know that if either your air conditioner or heater does break down, it will be at the most inconvenient time. And it’s likely that if your system isn’t working, there are several homeowners who are in the same boat and you may have to wait quite a while for comfort.
So there are lots of reasons to schedule your maintenance appointment, and we’ve even taken away your one excuse: inconvenience. If you schedule your appointment earl, you have a much better chance of getting an appointment time that is convenient for you. After your short maintenance visit, you’ll have something that is priceless: peace of mind.