Take a look around you. What’s in the air you’re breathing? Your home may not be as free and clear of pollutants as you want it to be. Common pollutants can endanger your family’s health and well-being in your Houston home. Indoor air quality problems aren’t only a nuisance; they can be dangerous, too. Some pollutants can lead to respiratory diseases or cancer that shows up later.
Let’s look at some common indoor air pollutants that may be lurking in your home.
Mold and pollen
Mold exists everywhere, unfortunately. However, mold spores can’t grow without moisture. The home’s dampness and humidity help the nasty stuff grow, and mold exposure can trigger symptoms like asthma, coughing, sneezing, and congestion. That same dampness promotes the growth of bacteria and viruses, which also take a toll on your family’s health.
Have you been keeping the windows open at night? It may feel great, but it also lets in pollen and other allergens that can keep you awake in allergy misery.
Secondhand smoke is a top offender when it comes to indoor air pollutants and health. Secondhand smoke, classified by the Environmental Protection Agency as a carcinogen, can move between rooms in a home or even between separate apartment units. Secondhand smoke can trigger asthma and other ailments like respiratory infections and ear infections.
You take pride in a clean house. But did you know your everyday household cleaners can also be indoor health hazards? Some cleaning products release what’s called volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs can cause breathing issues and irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, and they can also contribute to chronic respiratory problems. Even products labeled as “all-natural” or “green” can cause health issues.
If you are breathing, then there’s going to be carbon dioxide in the air. Carbon dioxide is created in the body and exhaled by the respiratory system, and carbon dioxide is also produced when fossil fuels are burned. Too much carbon dioxide can lead to symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and vomiting.
Building materials such as asbestos, formaldehyde and lead
Asbestos is a fibrous mineral that can be found in many building products. It exists in products like floor tiles, shingles, cement, and insulation. Over time, it can cause problems in the lungs and heart. Formaldehyde is a product used in some foam insulation, pressed-wood products, wallpapers, or synthetic fabrics. Exposure to formaldehyde can cause eye, nose, and throat irritation, coughing, headaches, dizziness, or nausea. Long-term exposure to formaldehyde may cause some types of cancer. Lead is a toxic metal once used in paint, gasoline, fertilizers, and other common household products. Although lead in paint has been banned since the ’70s, some older homes may still have lead paint on the walls.
Clearing the air
Pollutants such as lead and asbestos should be removed from the home by a company specializing in this reduction type. These are typically not DIY projects, and homeowners should always err on the side of safety when it comes to their family’s home.
On the other hand, a good air purifier or whole-house filtration system can tackle airborne pathogens like bacteria, viruses, and mold. Air purifiers can remove up to 99.98% of allergens from filtered air, trapping particles down to .3 microns in size.
Are you looking for cleaner air in your home? Air Specialist has a variety of indoor air solutions. Learn more about air cleaners and purifiers here or call us at (713) 481-1305 to discuss how we can help you and your family enjoy clean air inside your home.