You may be surprised by how much of your monthly utility costs go to cooling your home.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling costs make up 48% of your energy bill.
You may already be taking steps to lower your energy but we think now is a great time to try a few more.
Here are our top five favorite ways to save money on your air conditioning (you can thank us later).
1. Install a programmable or smart thermostat and use it.
You may already adjust your thermostat at night to save money on your cooling bills. Using a programmable thermostat can help by ensuring that you never forget to adjust your temperature. According to Energy.gov, every degree you adjust your temperature up can save you up to 1% of your utility costs for every 8 hour period.
2. Clean or replace your air filter every month.
While you may be tempted to let your air filter go longer than a month before cleaning or replacing it, neglecting your air filter could cost you in increased energy bills. A dirty air filter can force your air conditioner to work harder than needed to cool your home. Built-up debris can restrict airflow in your system and may also lead to untimely repairs or replacement.
3. Don’t forget to turn off kitchen or bath exhaust fans.
Exhaust fans are designed to pull air out of your home. Aim to turn your exhaust fans off within 20 minutes of cooking or bathing to avoid wasting any more of your conditioned air than necessary.
4. Install a high-energy efficiency rating (EER) air conditioner in your home.
Consumerenergy.com notes that an air conditioner with an EER of 10 can lower your cost as much as half compared to a unit with an EER of 5.
5. Keep up with an annual maintenance schedule for your air conditioner.
Your air conditioner needs maintenance to operate efficiently. Just like your car, skipping your annual tune-up can mean additional repairs and even early replacement. Many HVAC companies offer maintenance programs to keep air conditioning maintenance costs low. And a comprehensive tune-up for your air conditioner will often cost less than a night out.
For more information about the benefits of maintenance for your air conditioner or information about our maintenance programs, visit our website or contact us at AirSpecialist today. If you live near Houston, Texas schedule a consultation and we will be right over.
Why Choose Us?
- We're strategically located in Pearland, TX
- Expertise to service all of your HVAC equipment
- Our technicians are NATE-certified
- We are an ACCA member company
- BBB accredited south Texas HVAC business
- We stand behind all of our HVAC work